Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Reflection: Technology Inventory for Music Education

There was something very interesting that emerged from all of this data, that I believe is specific to Music Education.  There are two very different, though equally important, types of musicians and those are the instrumentalist and the singer. In college, music majors have different paths depending on your chosen concentration in a specific instrument or voice.  As the only voice major in my content area group, I noticed that there were technologies that my instrumental major classmates knew that I didn't, and I'm sure I contributed technologies that they didn't know.  For example, I never knew about the computer program called Pyware that Scott mentioned.  It is a program that helps generate marching band drills, which is something singers don't know much about.  I found this assignment very interesting and helpful, because all music majors, once graduated, will be certified to teach both instrumental and vocal music, grades K - 12.  This list of technologies may help me in my future, especially if I end up with an instrumental teaching job, because of the different tools my fellow classmates have shared.  This interesting piece of data is specific to Music Education because there is no other content area that is so spilt between two different categories.  Even further, teaching music in primary schools is vastly different to teaching music in secondary schools.  Therefore, the number of technologies that can be used in music classrooms is large. Yet, another reason as to why this assignment may help in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment